I originally thought that Life’s Grimm from the China Glaze Happily Never After collection for Halloween 2017 was black with gold based on the press images. But turns out it is a beautiful blackened hunter to dark olive green with green and gold in it. Out now at Sally’s in Canada, I found a bottle at Winners for $5.99. Nail Polish Canada also has the full collection if you want them.
It goes on a little darker than the bottle colour. In full light, you can see the shimmer and slightly bigger flakes in China Glaze Life’s Grimm. I didn’t find any large flakies on my nail, so not many in the bottle.
A dark blackened green base with gold and green shimmer makes Life’s Grimm from the China Glaze 2017 Halloween collection a lot more special than I originally thought. Depending on lighting conditions, you can see a blacker base with green and gold shimmer or a glowy dark green. The formula is good and it is completely opaque in two coats. Do allow the first coat to dry as the brush drags the wet polish leaving bald spots, especially at the base of the nail.
China Glaze Life’s Grimm Swatches (Happily Never After Halloween 2017 Collection)
Happily Never After Swatches – Life’s Grimm by China Glaze
China Glaze Life’s Grimm Swatch (Halloween Happily Never After Collection)
China Glaze Life’s Grimm Compared To Zoya Edyta
China Glaze Life’s Grimm is a touch darker and more glittery than Zoya Edyta. Zoya Edyta is not quite as blackened either. Both are smooth formulas with great dry time. In the bottles, they seem quite different but on the nail, not so much. In bright lighting, Life’s Grimm is much greener though and has more depth.
China Glaze Life’s Grimm Overview
- Coats required: 2 coats of China Glaze Life’s Grimm shown with Essie Gel Setter top coat
- Dry time: Good, but allow to dry between coats
- Wear time: good, I added stamping and an extra top coat and wore this for 4 days with no tip wear or chips
- Issues: Formula is good but will drag on second coat if not dry
- Colour: Blackened green with green and gold shimmer
- Buy It: Sally’s or Nail Polish Canada (or try Winners but they had limited colours from the collection).