The MTV Movie Awards are far from the biggest and not one that I would usually bother with nail art for, but when I got an email from Trade Secrets mentioning their twitter party with prizes for the awards, I was inspired by the black cups of popcorn.
I had started off with the classic red and white bags of popcorn, but my fave small nail-art brush was lost to a chewy cat and I wasn’t pleased with the results. Plus, it doesn’t really scream MTV movie awards if the popcorn bags/cups do not match the ones in the awards,
So I headed over to my trusty Black Cat Nails templates to work out how to perfect the layout.
- Tape off a little more than 1/3 of your nail and paint it with a black polish. You can either add a gold design or use a polish with gold glitter like I did
- Remove tape and use a medium-large dotting tool to add popcorn coloured dots for a pile of popcorn
- Add darker dots to give it some definition
- Take a brush, dip it in acetone then yellow polish to get a sheer look and paint on the butter
- Top with top coat and you are done.
My boyfriend thinks these look more like cupcakes or muffins but whatever, who pours butter over chocolate chip muffins?
Polishes used in this popcorn themed nail art include
- Essie Ridge Filler to smooth out the nail and act as a base
- Maybelline Color Show in Twilight Rays (240)
- Zoya Farah for the popcorn base
- Zoya Jules for the kernels
- Sinful Colors Let’s Meet for the butter
- Essence The Gel top coat
For the MTV logo, I couldn’t perfect it but had bought some waterslide decals from etsy a while back where she left a generous margin. I used my photo printer to print the MTV logo and after 4 attempts on paper, managed to line it up to print on the decal paper. Cut it out and apply, add top coat and you are done.
It came out more sheer than I would have thought, the decals I received on that paper were fairly opaque so I guess if I buy blank waterslide transfers I should play with the colour to get it how I want it to look. Thankfully, you can leave clear areas on the transfers so I didn’t have to cut out the black parts which left the TV part of the logo looking fairly crisp.
You can join the Trade Secrets twitter party tomorrow night to chat red carpet fashion, the latest fashion and makeup trends, movies (of course) plus get a chance to win some great prizes. Just follow the party hashtag #TSxMTV and make sure you are following @TradeSecretsCA to win.