I have a love hate relationship with matte nail polishes. I love the way they look, especially as matte top coat tends to dull colours a little but without a top coat, they don’t last on my nails. A lot of it is body chemistry, most polishes don’t last for me so matte is lucky to last a day. But I had to have China Glaze Crown for Whatever, a matte blurple polish from the Happily Never After collection released for Halloween 2017.
I picked up Crown For Whatever from Winners for $6 but you can buy it from Sally’s Beauty or Nail Polish Canada. It is limited edition though so go find it now if you want it. China Glaze Crown For Whatever is a gorgeous dark blurple with a pink shimmer flash that is sadly a lot more visible in the bottle than on the nail. Still gorgeous though.
Like many matte polishes, China Glaze Crown For Whatever has a tricky formula. It is fairly thick and dries quickly, If you go over the same area twice, it will pull the polish. So while it seems like it dries quickly, you need to wait for the second coat to get full opacity with no bald spots. In bright lighting, you do see that pretty pink flash that is evident in the bottle.
China Glaze Crown For Whatever Swatch in Natural Sunlight
There is a surprising amount of pink in it, but only visible in bright lighting
As you can see, the formula is thick and can get a little lumpy. Go for as few strokes as possible with medium-thick coats. It doesn’t seem to build well with thin coats but needs more dry time than you think with thicker coats.
China Glaze Crown For Whatever Overview
- Coats required: 2 coats of China Glaze Crown for Whatever (no top coat)
- Dry time: Good, but allow to dry between coats
- Wear time: chips quickly, but to be expected with a matte polish with no top coat
- Issues: Formula is similar to most mattes, thick, seems like it dries fast but will drag on second coat if not dry
- Colour: Matte blue-purple (blurple) with a pink flash
- Buy It: Sally’s or Nail Polish Canada (or try Winners but they had limited colours from the collection).